Over the past, LinkedIn has transformed into an incredible storytelling platform that is now home to inspiring advocates for social change.
Some of my personal faves include:
- Tackling racism + deconstructing white supremacy Philip Mix A Johanna david mcqueen
- Empowering + fighting for the rights of the LGBTQIA+ community Max Slack 🏳️⚧️🏳️🌈 Lily Zheng Paff Evara🌈
- Raising awareness of the realities of neurodiversity Ellie Middleton Luke Manton Dan Harris
- Feminist fighting the patriarchy and creating awesome communities Karla Morales-Lee Sonya Barlow
- Talking about mental health George Bell
- Normalising squiggly careers Sarah Ellis Helen Tupper
Their content has changed my life and the lives of others around them.
All of these people started with a commitment to share their story and knowledge on LinkedIn. However, sharing our story with the world can be pretty nerve wracking. I know, as this is something I’ve had to consciously work on (and to be honest I still am).
One of the hardest things, as with literally any new habit, is starting.
So I have created an 8-week LinkedIn challenge to help you build that habit and confidence.
- Post once a week for 8 weeks on LinkedIn at the same time/day. Create a calendar invite in your diary to remind yourself – add me to it!
- Write about any topic that you fancy – a news story that you’d like to comment on, a personal experience you’d like to share, a post about who you are and what you care about. Only share what you are comfortable sharing.
- Write as much or as little as you want. Do what feels right. This is not about writing the most effective or viral post ever, it’s about starting a sustainable habit
- Ask for support and shoutouts when you need them by tagging friends and family
- Don’t stress about hashtags, images, or emojis
- If you want a weekly cheerleader @ me (Emily Horton) and @More Diverse Voices and I’ll hype you up
- Reflect at the end – either in a post or in the privacy of your bedroom
How to join the 8-week challenge?
Feel free to start whenever you like! But if you need that extra bit of support DM me or email me: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
- Your email address
- The weekly time you would like to post. I’ll set up a calendar invite reminder
- I’ll also read and make recommendations for your first post, to help you get started!
This is how I started. No elaborate content plan or pretty carousel Canva designs. Just a commitment to writing each week.
Since starting none of my posts have gone viral and I don’t have thousands of followers, BUT this process built a habit of regular posting which has led to:
- New clients
- Speaking opportunities
- A growing network of awesome people
- Built my confidence as an expert
Remember: Your story matters. Your voice matters. You matter.